If Thou Must Love Me - By Elizabeth Barrett Browning
If thou must love me, let it be for naught, except for love's sake only, do not say “I love her for
- If thou must love me, let it be for naught
- Except for love's sake only. Do not say
- “I love her for her smile...her look...
- her way of speaking gently -for a trick of thought
- That falls in well with mine and certes bought
- A sense of pleasant ease on such a day.”
- For these things in themselves, beloved, may be changed,
- or changed for thee – and love so wrought may be unwrought so.
More Wedding Poems