When it comes to looking around wedding venues many couples don’t know where to start, what questions to ask and what information you need to have with you.
To help you on your way and make looking around wedding venues a fun and helpful experience for your wedding planning, we have some great advice from Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort wedding co-ordinator Gillian O’Dea:
As you begin the search for your wedding venue you will surely have lots of questions for your wedding co-ordinator when you meet, but typically when you walk away and discuss in more detail with your other half and perhaps family, lots more questions may come to mind. So, my advice is to bring a list of questions with what’s important to you in a venue.
Some Important Questions to Include:
- Check Availability — Are your chosen dates available and if you want your wedding to be a two day event, what is the availability the day before or after?
- Talk About the Food and Service — I think it is very important, before you make this big decision, to think overnight; if you can have dinner at the venue then even better.
- Think Numbers — Does the capacity match your guest list? Have a rough estimate of numbers in your head.
- Who to Speak To — Who will be your point of contact for your wedding? You will want to know who to go to on the big day if you have a problem or a question.
- Timings of the Day — Is there a suggested guideline itinerary that the venue uses?
- What Others Say — Check online for testimonials from other couples who have used the venue.
- Your Surroundings — Picture the wedding at the time of year and ask to see some imagery of past weddings.
- Special Requests — Think about what you want from your venue before you decide to visit — is there a theme and is the venue suitable? — Vintage, modern, fairytale etc.
- The Finer Details — What timeline do the venue usually work to for menu tasting, payment schedule, rooming lists and table plan? This will give you a finish date for confirming your guest list.
- Any Extras? — What is included in the package? Venues often have cake stands, stationery and décor items you can use.